Tapenade with Crostini
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Along the French Riviera, this black-olive spread invariably contains an anchovy or two, but you may do without.
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rum, or brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small French baguette, or loaf of Italian bread
- Combine olives, capers, rum (or brandy), oil, thyme, anchovy (if using), garlic and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs and pulse just until mixed. Season with pepper and additional lemon juice, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice bread diagonally into rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Spread tapenade on crostini just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tapenade (Step 1) for up to 1 week. The crostini (Steps 2-3) may be baked several hours in advance, allowed to cool to room temperature, then wrapped and stored at room temperature.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995