Tapenade with Crostini
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Along the French Riviera, this black-olive spread invariably contains an anchovy or two, but you may do without.
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rum, or brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small French baguette, or loaf of Italian bread
- Combine olives, capers, rum (or brandy), oil, thyme, anchovy (if using), garlic and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs and pulse just until mixed. Season with pepper and additional lemon juice, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice bread diagonally into rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Spread tapenade on crostini just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tapenade (Step 1) for up to 1 week. The crostini (Steps 2-3) may be baked several hours in advance, allowed to cool to room temperature, then wrapped and stored at room temperature.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1995