Tangy Cauliflower Salad
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
The salty, lemony and spicy flavors make each cauliflower floret "pop" in your mouth. This chilled salad is a great accompaniment for a sandwich, grilled meats or even pot roast.
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lemon, zested (2 teaspoons) and juiced (2 tablespoons)
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head), cooked until tender-crisp (see Tip)
- Whisk garlic, capers, oil, vinegar, crushed red pepper, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Add cauliflower to the bowl and toss to coat. Chill the salad for 30 minutes, or overnight. Serve cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To cook florets: In a steamer basket, cover and steam 8 to 10 minutes for tender-crisp or 15 minutes for very tender. Or microwave, covered, with 1/4 cup water for 2 to 4 minutes for tender-crisp or 3 to 5 minutes for tender. A 2-pound head of cauliflower yields about 8 cups bite-size florets.
Per serving: 113 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, and has a modest amount of calcium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- February/March 2005