Tangy Cauliflower Salad
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
The salty, lemony and spicy flavors make each cauliflower floret "pop" in your mouth. This chilled salad is a great accompaniment for a sandwich, grilled meats or even pot roast.
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lemon, zested (2 teaspoons) and juiced (2 tablespoons)
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head), cooked until tender-crisp (see Tip)
- Whisk garlic, capers, oil, vinegar, crushed red pepper, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Add cauliflower to the bowl and toss to coat. Chill the salad for 30 minutes, or overnight. Serve cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To cook florets: In a steamer basket, cover and steam 8 to 10 minutes for tender-crisp or 15 minutes for very tender. Or microwave, covered, with 1/4 cup water for 2 to 4 minutes for tender-crisp or 3 to 5 minutes for tender. A 2-pound head of cauliflower yields about 8 cups bite-size florets.
Per serving: 113 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, and has a modest amount of calcium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- February/March 2005