Tangy Cauliflower Salad
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
The salty, lemony and spicy flavors make each cauliflower floret "pop" in your mouth. This chilled salad is a great accompaniment for a sandwich, grilled meats or even pot roast.
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lemon, zested (2 teaspoons) and juiced (2 tablespoons)
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head), cooked until tender-crisp (see Tip)
- Whisk garlic, capers, oil, vinegar, crushed red pepper, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Add cauliflower to the bowl and toss to coat. Chill the salad for 30 minutes, or overnight. Serve cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To cook florets: In a steamer basket, cover and steam 8 to 10 minutes for tender-crisp or 15 minutes for very tender. Or microwave, covered, with 1/4 cup water for 2 to 4 minutes for tender-crisp or 3 to 5 minutes for tender. A 2-pound head of cauliflower yields about 8 cups bite-size florets.
Per serving: 113 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 6 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, and has a modest amount of calcium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- February/March 2005