Tangerine Veal Medallions
A bright, tasty citrus sauce matches perfectly with veal, especially in this easy sauté. If you like, spike the dish with a few dashes of bottled red pepper sauce. In any case, serve it with wilted chard or steamed asparagus.
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, crushed, or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 pound boneless veal loin, trimmed and cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick medallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Press peppercorns into both sides of veal medallions. (They will not completely coat the veal.) Season with salt.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal and cook until golden outside and faintly pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add juice, vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in scallions and any accumulated juices from the veal. Season with salt. Divide the veal among 4 plates and top with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ask your butcher for the boneless veal; for a less expensive alternative, use pork tenderloin.
Per serving: 222 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Zinc (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique