Tangerine Veal Medallions
A bright, tasty citrus sauce matches perfectly with veal, especially in this easy sauté. If you like, spike the dish with a few dashes of bottled red pepper sauce. In any case, serve it with wilted chard or steamed asparagus.
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, crushed, or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 pound boneless veal loin, trimmed and cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick medallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Press peppercorns into both sides of veal medallions. (They will not completely coat the veal.) Season with salt.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal and cook until golden outside and faintly pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add juice, vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in scallions and any accumulated juices from the veal. Season with salt. Divide the veal among 4 plates and top with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ask your butcher for the boneless veal; for a less expensive alternative, use pork tenderloin.
Per serving: 222 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Zinc (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat