Tangerine Veal Medallions
A bright, tasty citrus sauce matches perfectly with veal, especially in this easy sauté. If you like, spike the dish with a few dashes of bottled red pepper sauce. In any case, serve it with wilted chard or steamed asparagus.
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, crushed, or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 pound boneless veal loin, trimmed and cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick medallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Press peppercorns into both sides of veal medallions. (They will not completely coat the veal.) Season with salt.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal and cook until golden outside and faintly pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add juice, vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in scallions and any accumulated juices from the veal. Season with salt. Divide the veal among 4 plates and top with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ask your butcher for the boneless veal; for a less expensive alternative, use pork tenderloin.
Per serving: 222 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Zinc (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat