Tangerine Veal Medallions
A bright, tasty citrus sauce matches perfectly with veal, especially in this easy sauté. If you like, spike the dish with a few dashes of bottled red pepper sauce. In any case, serve it with wilted chard or steamed asparagus.
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, crushed, or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 pound boneless veal loin, trimmed and cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick medallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Press peppercorns into both sides of veal medallions. (They will not completely coat the veal.) Season with salt.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal and cook until golden outside and faintly pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add juice, vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in scallions and any accumulated juices from the veal. Season with salt. Divide the veal among 4 plates and top with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ask your butcher for the boneless veal; for a less expensive alternative, use pork tenderloin.
Per serving: 222 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Zinc (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat