Tangelo Pork Stir-Fry
This pork and pepper stir-fry uses strips of tangelo zest and bright tangelo juice, which offers a little sunshine on a midwinter night. Tangelos, hybrids of tangerines and pummelos (or grapefruit), are often labeled as Minneolas or Honeybells.
- 2 tangelos, such as Minneolas or Honeybells
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove zest from tangelos in long strips. Cut the strips lengthwise into very thin pieces. Cut the tangelos in half and squeeze enough juice from them to get 1/2 cup.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in 2 teaspoons oil, then add pork and cook, stirring, until just cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan along with shallots, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and the zest. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bell peppers and celery and cook, stirring constantly, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tangelo juice and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl, then pour it into the pan along with the pork and its juices. Cook, stirring often, until thickened and bubbling and the pork is heated through, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 222 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 665 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (220% daily value), Selenium (56% dv), Vitamin A (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat