Tangelo Pork Stir-Fry
This pork and pepper stir-fry uses strips of tangelo zest and bright tangelo juice, which offers a little sunshine on a midwinter night. Tangelos, hybrids of tangerines and pummelos (or grapefruit), are often labeled as Minneolas or Honeybells.
- 2 tangelos, such as Minneolas or Honeybells
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove zest from tangelos in long strips. Cut the strips lengthwise into very thin pieces. Cut the tangelos in half and squeeze enough juice from them to get 1/2 cup.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in 2 teaspoons oil, then add pork and cook, stirring, until just cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan along with shallots, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and the zest. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bell peppers and celery and cook, stirring constantly, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tangelo juice and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl, then pour it into the pan along with the pork and its juices. Cook, stirring often, until thickened and bubbling and the pork is heated through, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 222 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 665 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (220% daily value), Selenium (56% dv), Vitamin A (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique