Tandoori Leg of Lamb with Fresh Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
A spicy, yogurt-based marinade tenderizes the lamb, which is accompanied by a sweet and gingery chutney.
- 1 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Fresh Mango Chutney, (recipe follows)
- With a sharp knife, make 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch-deep gashes on all sides of lamb in a crisscross pattern. Place the lamb in a plastic bag. Combine yogurt, lime juice, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the lamb, turning to cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the lamb on a lightly oiled rack in a roasting pan. Combine coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the lamb.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° and continue roasting until a meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium-rare, 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make Fresh Mango Chutney to serve with the lamb.
Per serving: 337 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 671 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)