Tandoori Leg of Lamb with Fresh Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
A spicy, yogurt-based marinade tenderizes the lamb, which is accompanied by a sweet and gingery chutney.
- 1 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Fresh Mango Chutney, (recipe follows)
- With a sharp knife, make 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch-deep gashes on all sides of lamb in a crisscross pattern. Place the lamb in a plastic bag. Combine yogurt, lime juice, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the lamb, turning to cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the lamb on a lightly oiled rack in a roasting pan. Combine coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the lamb.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° and continue roasting until a meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium-rare, 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make Fresh Mango Chutney to serve with the lamb.
Per serving: 337 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 671 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)