Tandoori Leg of Lamb with Fresh Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
A spicy, yogurt-based marinade tenderizes the lamb, which is accompanied by a sweet and gingery chutney.
- 1 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Fresh Mango Chutney, (recipe follows)
- With a sharp knife, make 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch-deep gashes on all sides of lamb in a crisscross pattern. Place the lamb in a plastic bag. Combine yogurt, lime juice, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the lamb, turning to cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the lamb on a lightly oiled rack in a roasting pan. Combine coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the lamb.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° and continue roasting until a meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium-rare, 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make Fresh Mango Chutney to serve with the lamb.
Per serving: 337 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 671 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)