Tandoori Leg of Lamb with Fresh Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
A spicy, yogurt-based marinade tenderizes the lamb, which is accompanied by a sweet and gingery chutney.
- 1 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Fresh Mango Chutney, (recipe follows)
- With a sharp knife, make 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch-deep gashes on all sides of lamb in a crisscross pattern. Place the lamb in a plastic bag. Combine yogurt, lime juice, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the lamb, turning to cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the lamb on a lightly oiled rack in a roasting pan. Combine coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the lamb.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° and continue roasting until a meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium-rare, 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make Fresh Mango Chutney to serve with the lamb.
Per serving: 337 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 671 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)