Tandoori Leg of Lamb with Fresh Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
A spicy, yogurt-based marinade tenderizes the lamb, which is accompanied by a sweet and gingery chutney.
- 1 5-pound bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Fresh Mango Chutney, (recipe follows)
- With a sharp knife, make 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch-deep gashes on all sides of lamb in a crisscross pattern. Place the lamb in a plastic bag. Combine yogurt, lime juice, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the lamb, turning to cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the lamb on a lightly oiled rack in a roasting pan. Combine coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the lamb.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° and continue roasting until a meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium-rare, 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make Fresh Mango Chutney to serve with the lamb.
Per serving: 337 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 98 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 671 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 7 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)