Chopped Tandoori Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Tandoori chicken is a traditional Northern Indian dish of spiced yogurt-marinated chicken cooked in a clay oven. In this tandoori chicken salad recipe we grill chicken and toss it in a salad with grilled tomatoes and cucumber.
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 European cucumber, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Whisk 1/2 cup yogurt, garlic, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon garam masala, coriander, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Place chicken in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag and add the yogurt mixture. Close the bag and massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Twenty minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the remaining marinade). Take the chicken and tomatoes out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the chicken on the hottest part of the grill. Skewer the tomatoes or place in a grill basket. Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Grill the tomatoes, turning or stirring occasionally, until slightly charred, 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the dressing and the rest of the salad.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk in cilantro, vinegar, oil and cayenne. Add romaine, cucumber and chickpeas. Chop the chicken and add to the salad; toss well. Serve with the tomatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate chicken for up to 24 hours. | Equipment: Skewers or grill basket
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
- DIY grill basket: Itâ€™s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they donâ€™t fall into the fire. If you donâ€™t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this â€œbasketâ€ will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.
Per serving: 459 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 9 g fiber; 698 mg sodium; 1159 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (193% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (44% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Zinc (26% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 nofat milk, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2012