A super-quick blend of reduced-fat sour cream and salsa serves double duty as salad dressing and seasoning for the meat in our updated version of Tex-Mex taco salad. Depending on the type of salsa you use, the salad will vary in heat. We keep this version light with lean turkey, but lean ground beef (about 95%-lean) would also keep the nutrition marks reasonable. Just hold the deep-fried tortilla bowl and instead serve this salad with baked tortilla chips and wedges of fresh lime.
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring often and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture.
- Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates, top with the turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: 447 calories; 19 g fat (8 g sat, 5 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 42 g protein; 10 g fiber; 629 mg sodium; 1126 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (53% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique