A super-quick blend of reduced-fat sour cream and salsa serves double duty as salad dressing and seasoning for the meat in our updated version of Tex-Mex taco salad. Depending on the type of salsa you use, the salad will vary in heat. We keep this version light with lean turkey, but lean ground beef (about 95%-lean) would also keep the nutrition marks reasonable. Just hold the deep-fried tortilla bowl and instead serve this salad with baked tortilla chips and wedges of fresh lime.
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring often and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture.
- Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates, top with the turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: 447 calories; 19 g fat (8 g sat, 5 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 42 g protein; 10 g fiber; 629 mg sodium; 1126 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (53% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique