From EatingWell: May/June 2013
In this homemade taco bowl recipe, we show you how to make a taco bowl with a corn tortilla using the underside of a muffin tin as a mold and then baking it to create cute little taco serving bowls.
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat tortillas until warm (see Tips). Coat each side of 4 tortillas with cooking spray. (Keep the remaining 4 tortillas covered.) Turn a 12-cup muffin tin upside down. Nestle a tortilla in the space between 4 cups to form a “bowl.” Repeat with 3 more tortillas, making 4 bowls total. Bake until firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining 4 tortillas.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Warming tortillas prevents them from cracking and breaking. Here are three ways to warm your tortillas:
- In the oven: Wrap stacks of 8 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- On the stove: Turn a gas or electric burner on high. Using tongs, slide one tortilla at a time over the burner for a few seconds, alternating sides, until it’s softened and beginning to char. Cover tortillas to keep warm.
- In the microwave: Wrap a stack of 8 tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel); microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per bowl: 74 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2013