Sweet Sunflower Seed Spread
From EatingWell: September 1997
Crunchy sunflower seeds and sweet raisins are stirred into yogurt cheese in this tasty spread for toasted whole-grain bread or crackers.
- 1/2 cup yogurt cheese, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped toasted sunflower seeds, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Combine yogurt cheese, raisins, sunflower seeds, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To make yogurt cheese: Line a colander with a large cotton towel or double thickness of cheesecloth, and place the colander in the sink. Add 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt. Let stand for 15 minutes then place the colander over a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. Gathering the edges of the towel together, gently squeeze out any remaining liquid. Transfer the yogurt cheese to an airtight container. Makes 1/2 cup. Cover and chill for up to 1 week.
- To toast sunflower seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per tablespoon: 26 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September 1997