Sweet Sunflower Seed Spread
From EatingWell: September 1997
Crunchy sunflower seeds and sweet raisins are stirred into yogurt cheese in this tasty spread for toasted whole-grain bread or crackers.
- 1/2 cup yogurt cheese, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped toasted sunflower seeds, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Combine yogurt cheese, raisins, sunflower seeds, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To make yogurt cheese: Line a colander with a large cotton towel or double thickness of cheesecloth, and place the colander in the sink. Add 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt. Let stand for 15 minutes then place the colander over a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. Gathering the edges of the towel together, gently squeeze out any remaining liquid. Transfer the yogurt cheese to an airtight container. Makes 1/2 cup. Cover and chill for up to 1 week.
- To toast sunflower seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per tablespoon: 26 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September 1997