Sweet & Sour Onion Jam
This is a convenient condiment to keep on hand. It makes a delicious topping for grilled meats and also enlivens sandwich fillings.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar, plus more to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and most of their liquid has evaporated, 10 to 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until onions turn deep golden, 10 to 20 minutes more. (Add 1 or 2 tablespoons water if the onions start to scorch.)
- Add garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup vinegar and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and more vinegar, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 81 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 37 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique