Sweet & Sour Green Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This slightly sweet, slightly sour green bean recipe takes just a few minutes to make and is great served at room temperature. Make it ahead and let the green beans bathe in the dressing, soaking up flavor.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 ice cube
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fit a large pot with a steamer basket, add 1 to 2 inches water and bring to a boil. Add green beans, cover and steam until tender-crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in ice cube until it dissolves. Whisk in shallots, oil and salt.
- Transfer the green beans to a large bowl, pour the dressing over them and toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate beans (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while you prepare the dressing (Step 2).
Per serving: 71 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012