Sweet & Sour Green Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This slightly sweet, slightly sour green bean recipe takes just a few minutes to make and is great served at room temperature. Make it ahead and let the green beans bathe in the dressing, soaking up flavor.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 ice cube
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fit a large pot with a steamer basket, add 1 to 2 inches water and bring to a boil. Add green beans, cover and steam until tender-crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in ice cube until it dissolves. Whisk in shallots, oil and salt.
- Transfer the green beans to a large bowl, pour the dressing over them and toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate beans (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while you prepare the dressing (Step 2).
Per serving: 71 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 146 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012