Sweet & Sour Beef-Cabbage Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This wholesome sweet-and-sour soup combines beef, caraway seeds, sweet paprika and cabbage—ingredients that star in a number of German dishes. It is particularly nice served with crusty rye bread. For an even heartier soup, add diced cooked potatoes along with the cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed, chopped
- 1 medium Golden Delicious or other sweet-tart cooking apple, unpeeled, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably Hungarian sweet
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Savoy, or green cabbage
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, caraway seeds and thyme and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it is mostly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in pepper-onion mix and apple; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, honey and paprika and adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Stir in cabbage and cook just until barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with vinegar to taste, salt and pepper.
Per serving: 250 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 717 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- September/October 2009