Sweet & Sour Beef-Cabbage Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This wholesome sweet-and-sour soup combines beef, caraway seeds, sweet paprika and cabbage—ingredients that star in a number of German dishes. It is particularly nice served with crusty rye bread. For an even heartier soup, add diced cooked potatoes along with the cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed, chopped
- 1 medium Golden Delicious or other sweet-tart cooking apple, unpeeled, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably Hungarian sweet
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Savoy, or green cabbage
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, caraway seeds and thyme and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it is mostly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in pepper-onion mix and apple; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, honey and paprika and adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Stir in cabbage and cook just until barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with vinegar to taste, salt and pepper.
Per serving: 250 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 717 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2009