Sweet & Sour Beef-Cabbage Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This wholesome sweet-and-sour soup combines beef, caraway seeds, sweet paprika and cabbage—ingredients that star in a number of German dishes. It is particularly nice served with crusty rye bread. For an even heartier soup, add diced cooked potatoes along with the cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed, chopped
- 1 medium Golden Delicious or other sweet-tart cooking apple, unpeeled, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably Hungarian sweet
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Savoy, or green cabbage
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef, caraway seeds and thyme and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it is mostly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in pepper-onion mix and apple; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, honey and paprika and adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Stir in cabbage and cook just until barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with vinegar to taste, salt and pepper.
Per serving: 250 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 717 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- September/October 2009