I took this for our "soup & bread" supper at church tonight, then had to come home, look up the recipe so I could print a STACK of them. EVERYONE wanted the recipe ! ! ! The only thing I did different was to use fresh onion & pepper and added an extra apple.
Sweet & Sour Beef-Cabbage Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
This wholesome sweet-and-sour soup combines beef, caraway seeds, sweet paprika and cabbage—ingredients that star in a number of German dishes. It is particularly nice served with crusty rye bread. For an even heartier soup, add diced cooked potatoes along with the cabbage.
31 Reviews for Sweet & Sour Beef-Cabbage Soup
Easy and adaptable! Didn't have bell peppers so used mostly cabbage. Turned out fantastic, can't wait to make it again.
For some reason I accidentally put in chicken broth but the soup was still super-delicious! I ground up the caraway seeds since I don't like the texture of them whole and used fresh red bell pepper and onion. I didn't think I would like the apple but in this soup it added a great sweet bite!
So easy and cheap when you do the math- i used 4 cups beef broth and 2 cups water to cut back on the sodium and i figured with all the great spices would make up for it, which they did! the caraway seeds are fantastic! (and so good for you) and very quick to make.
This was a fantastic winter dinner that packed in so much nutrition for my family! I had fresh onions but no bell peppers, so I sauteed the onions in the oil before adding the beef. It was definitely better the next day, but both times we had it it had such a rich layering of flavors. Good bread is a must with this wonderful soup.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)