Sweet & Sour Barley-Bean Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Honey adds a touch of sweetness to this vegetarian barley soup. Make it a meal: Crisp, sesame-seeded Lavash crackers and a cucumber salad with yogurt would complete this savory vegetarian dinner.
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, divided, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, place eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and squeeze firmly to remove excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until beginning to color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in prepared eggplant, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons basil, lemon juice and honey. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the eggplant is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in reserved barley and beans and heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons chopped basil. Serve hot, garnished with whole basil leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 323 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 17 g fiber; 614 mg sodium; 1037 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (39% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1997