Sweet & Sour Barley-Bean Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Honey adds a touch of sweetness to this vegetarian barley soup. Make it a meal: Crisp, sesame-seeded Lavash crackers and a cucumber salad with yogurt would complete this savory vegetarian dinner.
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, divided, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, place eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and squeeze firmly to remove excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until beginning to color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in prepared eggplant, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons basil, lemon juice and honey. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the eggplant is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in reserved barley and beans and heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons chopped basil. Serve hot, garnished with whole basil leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 323 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 17 g fiber; 614 mg sodium; 1037 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (39% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1997