Sweet & Sour Barley-Bean Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Honey adds a touch of sweetness to this vegetarian barley soup. Make it a meal: Crisp, sesame-seeded Lavash crackers and a cucumber salad with yogurt would complete this savory vegetarian dinner.
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, divided, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, place eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and squeeze firmly to remove excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until beginning to color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in prepared eggplant, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons basil, lemon juice and honey. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the eggplant is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in reserved barley and beans and heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons chopped basil. Serve hot, garnished with whole basil leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 323 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 17 g fiber; 614 mg sodium; 1037 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (39% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1997