Sweet & Savory Grilled Chicken
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This sweet and savory rub for grilled chicken relies on ingredients you most likely have on hand alreadyâ€”brown sugar, dry mustard and onion powderâ€”making it a quick recipe for a night when youâ€™re not sure what youâ€™re making for dinner.
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Note)
- Combine brown sugar, dry mustard, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of chicken with the rub up to 30 minutes before grilling or broiling.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position a rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- To grill: Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165Â°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side.
- To broil: Line a broiler pan (or baking sheet) with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the foil. Broil, watching carefully and turning at least once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165Â°F, 10 to 15 minutes total.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the rub in an airtight container for up to 3 months; coat the chicken with the rub up to 30 minutes before grilling or broiling.
- Note: Itâ€™s difficult to find an individual chicken breast small enough for one portion. Removing the thin strip of meat from the underside of a 5-ounce breastâ€”the chicken tenderâ€”removes about 1 ounce of meat and yields a perfect 4-ounce portion. Wrap and freeze the tenders and when you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry or for oven-baked chicken fingers. If you can only find chicken breasts closer to 8- to 9-ounce each, youâ€™ll only need 2 breasts for 4 servingsâ€”cut each one in half before cooking.
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food wonâ€™t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 140 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you donâ€™t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You wonâ€™t waste half a dayâ€™s worthâ€”or moreâ€”of calories with...
Celebrate summerâ€™s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides donâ€™t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldnâ€™t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether youâ€™re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)