Sweet & Savory Beef Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This beef stew for two replicates the flavors in tzimmes, a sweet stew traditionally served at Rosh Hashanah to start the New Year. This version gets natural sweetness from cherries and butternut squash.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces bottom-round beef, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and shallot to the pan; cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Stir in thyme, sage, salt and pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle with flour. Cook, stirring often, until the flour browns, about 3 minutes. Pour in broth; scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until the liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in squash.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Stir in cherries, cover and continue baking until the meat is tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes more. Makes 2 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
Per serving: 405 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 977 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (390% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2008