Sweet & Savory Beef Stew
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This beef stew for two replicates the flavors in tzimmes, a sweet stew traditionally served at Rosh Hashanah to start the New Year. This version gets natural sweetness from cherries and butternut squash.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces bottom-round beef, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and shallot to the pan; cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Stir in thyme, sage, salt and pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle with flour. Cook, stirring often, until the flour browns, about 3 minutes. Pour in broth; scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until the liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in squash.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Stir in cherries, cover and continue baking until the meat is tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes more. Makes 2 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
Per serving: 405 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 977 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (390% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2008