Sweet & Salty Beef Salad
Here's a salad that showcases the Asian yin and yang philosophy of combining opposing flavors. Mild, crisp iceberg lettuce allows the exotic hot-sweet-sour-salty flavors of the warm dressing to shine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note) or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peel and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Divide lettuce between 2 plates.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add beef and cook, stirring until browned on the outside and still pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, jalapeño (or serrano), onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the fish sauce (or soy sauce) mixture, remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon the sauce over the salad and sprinkle with peanuts.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
Per serving: 337 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 735 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Zinc (30% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique