Sweet & Salty Beef Salad
Here's a salad that showcases the Asian yin and yang philosophy of combining opposing flavors. Mild, crisp iceberg lettuce allows the exotic hot-sweet-sour-salty flavors of the warm dressing to shine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note) or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peel and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Divide lettuce between 2 plates.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add beef and cook, stirring until browned on the outside and still pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, jalapeño (or serrano), onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the fish sauce (or soy sauce) mixture, remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon the sauce over the salad and sprinkle with peanuts.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
Per serving: 337 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 735 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Zinc (30% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique