Sweet & Salty Beef Salad
Here's a salad that showcases the Asian yin and yang philosophy of combining opposing flavors. Mild, crisp iceberg lettuce allows the exotic hot-sweet-sour-salty flavors of the warm dressing to shine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Note) or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peel and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Divide lettuce between 2 plates.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add beef and cook, stirring until browned on the outside and still pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, jalapeño (or serrano), onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the fish sauce (or soy sauce) mixture, remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon the sauce over the salad and sprinkle with peanuts.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
Per serving: 337 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 735 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Zinc (30% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique