Sweet Ravioli (Ravioli Dolci)
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Figs and chocolate fill these little cookies.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 ounces dried figs, (8-9 figs)
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- To make dough: Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and put oil, butter, eggs and lemon zest in the well. Mix with a fork, incorporating flour from the sides, then knead with your hands until you have a smooth ball of dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- To make filling: Cover figs with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool. Pull off and discard woody stems. Chop the figs into a paste. Transfer the paste to a small bowl and stir in chocolate, brandy and anise.
- To form and bake ravioli: Set oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line them with parchment paper. Roll half of the dough on a well-floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch (thinner if you can). Cut out rounds with a 2 1/2-inch diameter cookie cutter. Place about 1/2 teaspoon filling just off the center of each round. Bring the edges together and press lightly with tines of a fork to seal. Place the ravioli on the prepared baking sheets and bake 1 sheet at a time until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the ravioli to racks and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Per cookie: 69 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 37 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1993