Sweet Potato & Turnip Mash with Sage Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This sweet potato and turnip mash is fragrant with fresh sage.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces turnips (about 2 medium), peeled and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 30 fresh sage leaves, divided (12 left whole, the rest cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked pepper
- Place potatoes, turnips, garlic and 12 sage leaves in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain. Return the vegetables to the pan and keep covered.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. As it melts and turns lightly brown, add the strips of sage and allow them to crackle and flavor the butter, about 1 minute.
- Pour the sage and butter over the vegetables and smash with a potato masher. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 88 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010