Sweet Potato & Turnip Mash with Sage Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This sweet potato and turnip mash is fragrant with fresh sage.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces turnips (about 2 medium), peeled and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 30 fresh sage leaves, divided (12 left whole, the rest cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked pepper
- Place potatoes, turnips, garlic and 12 sage leaves in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain. Return the vegetables to the pan and keep covered.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. As it melts and turns lightly brown, add the strips of sage and allow them to crackle and flavor the butter, about 1 minute.
- Pour the sage and butter over the vegetables and smash with a potato masher. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 88 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010