Sweet Potato & Turnip Mash with Sage Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This sweet potato and turnip mash is fragrant with fresh sage.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces turnips (about 2 medium), peeled and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 30 fresh sage leaves, divided (12 left whole, the rest cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked pepper
- Place potatoes, turnips, garlic and 12 sage leaves in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain. Return the vegetables to the pan and keep covered.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. As it melts and turns lightly brown, add the strips of sage and allow them to crackle and flavor the butter, about 1 minute.
- Pour the sage and butter over the vegetables and smash with a potato masher. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 88 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010