Sweet Potato & Turnip Mash with Sage Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This sweet potato and turnip mash is fragrant with fresh sage.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces turnips (about 2 medium), peeled and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 30 fresh sage leaves, divided (12 left whole, the rest cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked pepper
- Place potatoes, turnips, garlic and 12 sage leaves in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain. Return the vegetables to the pan and keep covered.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. As it melts and turns lightly brown, add the strips of sage and allow them to crackle and flavor the butter, about 1 minute.
- Pour the sage and butter over the vegetables and smash with a potato masher. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 88 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010