Sweet Potato-Turkey Hash
Hash is a flexible and easy way to transform leftover cooked meat into a distinctively different dish. This version brings together healthy sweet potatoes, apples and onions along with lean turkey or chicken.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced, cooked, skinless turkey, or chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add apple and cook until everything is just tender, but not mushy, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer 1 cup of the mixture to a large bowl; mash. Stir in sour cream and lemon juice. Add the remaining unmashed mixture and stir gently to mix. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken), thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved sweet potato mixture to the pan; stir to mix. Press on the hash with a wide metal spatula; cook until the bottom is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Cut the hash into several rough sections; flip and cook until the undersides are browned, about 3 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 214 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 475 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (150% daily value), Selenium (33% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry