Sweet Potato Puddings
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Sweet potato pudding is inherently luxurious, but it feels like a real indulgence with the additions of seemingly rich apple butter and evaporated skim milk. The puddings are so low in calories you can add pistachios, which pack both a visual and textural punch.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 24 pistachios, shelled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor; puree until smooth. Measure out 2 cups of puree. (Save any extra for another use.) Let cool.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a mixing bowl. Add the cooled sweet potato puree, granulated and brown sugars, apple butter (or fruit puree fat replacement), vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently whisk in evaporated milk.
- Divide mixture among eight 4-ounce (1/2-cup) ramekins. Place the ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake until the puddings are set, 35 to 40 minutes. A knife inserted in the center of each pudding should come out clean.
- Let the puddings cool slightly. Sprinkle with pistachios. Serve warm. Variation: Substitute one 15-ounce can plain pumpkin puree for the sweet potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 8 4-ounce ramekins
Per serving: 122 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997