Sweet Potato Puddings
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Sweet potato pudding is inherently luxurious, but it feels like a real indulgence with the additions of seemingly rich apple butter and evaporated skim milk. The puddings are so low in calories you can add pistachios, which pack both a visual and textural punch.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 24 pistachios, shelled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor; puree until smooth. Measure out 2 cups of puree. (Save any extra for another use.) Let cool.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a mixing bowl. Add the cooled sweet potato puree, granulated and brown sugars, apple butter (or fruit puree fat replacement), vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently whisk in evaporated milk.
- Divide mixture among eight 4-ounce (1/2-cup) ramekins. Place the ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake until the puddings are set, 35 to 40 minutes. A knife inserted in the center of each pudding should come out clean.
- Let the puddings cool slightly. Sprinkle with pistachios. Serve warm. Variation: Substitute one 15-ounce can plain pumpkin puree for the sweet potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 8 4-ounce ramekins
Per serving: 122 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1997