Sweet Potato Puddings
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Sweet potato pudding is inherently luxurious, but it feels like a real indulgence with the additions of seemingly rich apple butter and evaporated skim milk. The puddings are so low in calories you can add pistachios, which pack both a visual and textural punch.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 24 pistachios, shelled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor; puree until smooth. Measure out 2 cups of puree. (Save any extra for another use.) Let cool.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a mixing bowl. Add the cooled sweet potato puree, granulated and brown sugars, apple butter (or fruit puree fat replacement), vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently whisk in evaporated milk.
- Divide mixture among eight 4-ounce (1/2-cup) ramekins. Place the ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake until the puddings are set, 35 to 40 minutes. A knife inserted in the center of each pudding should come out clean.
- Let the puddings cool slightly. Sprinkle with pistachios. Serve warm. Variation: Substitute one 15-ounce can plain pumpkin puree for the sweet potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 8 4-ounce ramekins
Per serving: 122 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997