Sweet Potato Puddings
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Sweet potato pudding is inherently luxurious, but it feels like a real indulgence with the additions of seemingly rich apple butter and evaporated skim milk. The puddings are so low in calories you can add pistachios, which pack both a visual and textural punch.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 24 pistachios, shelled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor; puree until smooth. Measure out 2 cups of puree. (Save any extra for another use.) Let cool.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a mixing bowl. Add the cooled sweet potato puree, granulated and brown sugars, apple butter (or fruit puree fat replacement), vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently whisk in evaporated milk.
- Divide mixture among eight 4-ounce (1/2-cup) ramekins. Place the ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake until the puddings are set, 35 to 40 minutes. A knife inserted in the center of each pudding should come out clean.
- Let the puddings cool slightly. Sprinkle with pistachios. Serve warm. Variation: Substitute one 15-ounce can plain pumpkin puree for the sweet potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 8 4-ounce ramekins
Per serving: 122 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997