Sweet Potato Pudding Cake
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This cake was inspired by the one of the most popular Jamaican desserts, sweet potato pudding. Traditionally, raw shredded sweet potatoes are used, but we found that sweet potatoes sold in the U.S. don’t provide the same texture as those in Jamaica. Instead, we mix mashed sweet potato with eggs and flour to get a slightly different, but equally delicious, cheesecake-like result.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark or light rum
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sweet potato (about 1 large), cooked (see Tip) and peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare cake: Toss raisins and rum in a small bowl and let stand. Whisk flour, nutmeg and salt in another bowl.
- Mash sweet potato in a large bowl (you should have about 1 3/4 cups). Add eggs; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add coconut milk, 1 cup brown sugar and butter; beat until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients until evenly moistened. Stir in the raisins and any remaining rum. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- To prepare topping: Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
- Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- Tip: To cook whole sweet potatoes, pierce the skin in several places with a fork. Bake on a baking sheet at 400°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or microwave on High for 12 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 274 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 58 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 21 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 333 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (150% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)