Sweet Potato Hash with Black Forest Ham
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Flavorful Black Forest ham subtly enriches the hash without taking over. Serve this alongside chicken or duck, or set a poached egg on top for a light meal on its own.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, (about 2 medium), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely diced Black Forest ham, (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sweet potatoes and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in ham and thyme; cook, stirring, until the ham is heated through, about 1 minute more.
Per serving: 132 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 258 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (280% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006