Sweet Potato Hash with Black Forest Ham
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Flavorful Black Forest ham subtly enriches the hash without taking over. Serve this alongside chicken or duck, or set a poached egg on top for a light meal on its own.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, (about 2 medium), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely diced Black Forest ham, (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sweet potatoes and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in ham and thyme; cook, stirring, until the ham is heated through, about 1 minute more.
Per serving: 132 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 258 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (280% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- December 2005/January 2006