Sweet Potato Hash with Black Forest Ham
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Flavorful Black Forest ham subtly enriches the hash without taking over. Serve this alongside chicken or duck, or set a poached egg on top for a light meal on its own.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, (about 2 medium), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely diced Black Forest ham, (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sweet potatoes and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in ham and thyme; cook, stirring, until the ham is heated through, about 1 minute more.
Per serving: 132 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 258 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (280% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- December 2005/January 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)