Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Quick and easy hashes are fabulous one-pot meals for those nights when getting dinner on the table fast is a priority.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 419 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 80 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 17 g fiber; 771 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998