Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Quick and easy hashes are fabulous one-pot meals for those nights when getting dinner on the table fast is a priority.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 419 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 80 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 17 g fiber; 771 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March 1998