Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Quick and easy hashes are fabulous one-pot meals for those nights when getting dinner on the table fast is a priority.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 419 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 80 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 17 g fiber; 771 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998