Sweet Potato & Cabbage Slaw
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Sweet potatoes can be eaten raw as well as cooked. Here they star in a sprightly slaw, a quick and light accompaniment for simple poached or steamed fish.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coarsely grated peeled sweet potato, (about 1 large)
- 3 cups thinly shredded napa, or Savoy cabbage
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced serrano, or jalapeno pepper with seeds (optional)
- Whisk canola oil, lime juice, sesame oil and salt in a large bowl. Add sweet potato, cabbage, scallions and serrano (or jalapeno), if using; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate dressing and slaw separately for up to 1 day; toss together just before serving.
Per serving: 82 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- December 2005/January 2006