Sweet Potato & Cabbage Slaw
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Sweet potatoes can be eaten raw as well as cooked. Here they star in a sprightly slaw, a quick and light accompaniment for simple poached or steamed fish.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coarsely grated peeled sweet potato, (about 1 large)
- 3 cups thinly shredded napa, or Savoy cabbage
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced serrano, or jalapeno pepper with seeds (optional)
- Whisk canola oil, lime juice, sesame oil and salt in a large bowl. Add sweet potato, cabbage, scallions and serrano (or jalapeno), if using; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate dressing and slaw separately for up to 1 day; toss together just before serving.
Per serving: 82 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006