Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili for Two
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A rich, dark and flavorful combination of our favorite Southwestern flavors. It also doesn't hurt that sweet potatoes and black beans both make the cut as superfoods. Serve with some warmed corn tortillas and Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and potato and cook, stirring often, until the onion is slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro; cover and refrigerate for 2 days. Reheat, stir in the cilantro and add more lime if desired.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 374 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 15 g fiber; 699 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two