Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili for Two
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A rich, dark and flavorful combination of our favorite Southwestern flavors. It also doesn't hurt that sweet potatoes and black beans both make the cut as superfoods. Serve with some warmed corn tortillas and Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and potato and cook, stirring often, until the onion is slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro; cover and refrigerate for 2 days. Reheat, stir in the cilantro and add more lime if desired.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 374 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 15 g fiber; 699 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two