Sweet-and-Sour Fish Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Stegte Fisk i Eddike)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Sweet-and-sour fish and cherry tomatoes top thinly sliced rye bread in this delicious appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 4 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- Sweet-and-Sour Fish, (recipe follows)
- 1 cup thinly sliced cherry tomatoes
- Combine butter and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 1 hour. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the butter-oil spread on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a bite-size piece of Sweet-and-Sour Fish, some of the pickled onions and a couple slices of cherry tomato.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 211 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- May/June 2008