Sweet-and-Sour Fish Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Stegte Fisk i Eddike)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Sweet-and-sour fish and cherry tomatoes top thinly sliced rye bread in this delicious appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 4 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- Sweet-and-Sour Fish, (recipe follows)
- 1 cup thinly sliced cherry tomatoes
- Combine butter and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 1 hour. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the butter-oil spread on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a bite-size piece of Sweet-and-Sour Fish, some of the pickled onions and a couple slices of cherry tomato.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 211 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- May/June 2008