Sweet-and-Sour Fish Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Stegte Fisk i Eddike)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Sweet-and-sour fish and cherry tomatoes top thinly sliced rye bread in this delicious appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 4 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- Sweet-and-Sour Fish, (recipe follows)
- 1 cup thinly sliced cherry tomatoes
- Combine butter and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 1 hour. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the butter-oil spread on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a bite-size piece of Sweet-and-Sour Fish, some of the pickled onions and a couple slices of cherry tomato.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 211 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- May/June 2008