Sweet-and-Sour Fish Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Stegte Fisk i Eddike)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Sweet-and-sour fish and cherry tomatoes top thinly sliced rye bread in this delicious appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 4 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- Sweet-and-Sour Fish, (recipe follows)
- 1 cup thinly sliced cherry tomatoes
- Combine butter and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 1 hour. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the butter-oil spread on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a bite-size piece of Sweet-and-Sour Fish, some of the pickled onions and a couple slices of cherry tomato.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 211 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 243 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2008