Swedish Cabbage Soup with Meatballs
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
A slightly sweetened chicken broth gives this cabbage soup its delicate flavor. Make it a meal: Swedish rye crisps are the perfect accompaniment.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes (12 cups)
- 2 tablespoons golden cane syrup, or dark corn syrup
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add cabbage and sauté until cabbage starts to release some of its liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add syrup. Simmer, uncovered, until the cabbage is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine turkey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. With wet hands, shape mixture into meatballs the size of marbles. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Add broth and bay leaves to the cooked cabbage. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drop the meatballs into the soup and simmer until they are no longer pink inside, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Season the soup with salt and a generous grinding of pepper before serving.
Per serving: 168 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 450 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (92% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 1993