Swedish Cabbage Soup with Meatballs
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
A slightly sweetened chicken broth gives this cabbage soup its delicate flavor. Make it a meal: Swedish rye crisps are the perfect accompaniment.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes (12 cups)
- 2 tablespoons golden cane syrup, or dark corn syrup
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add cabbage and sauté until cabbage starts to release some of its liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add syrup. Simmer, uncovered, until the cabbage is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine turkey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. With wet hands, shape mixture into meatballs the size of marbles. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Add broth and bay leaves to the cooked cabbage. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drop the meatballs into the soup and simmer until they are no longer pink inside, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Season the soup with salt and a generous grinding of pepper before serving.
Per serving: 168 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 450 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (92% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 1993