Swedish Cabbage Soup with Meatballs
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
A slightly sweetened chicken broth gives this cabbage soup its delicate flavor. Make it a meal: Swedish rye crisps are the perfect accompaniment.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes (12 cups)
- 2 tablespoons golden cane syrup, or dark corn syrup
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add cabbage and sauté until cabbage starts to release some of its liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add syrup. Simmer, uncovered, until the cabbage is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine turkey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. With wet hands, shape mixture into meatballs the size of marbles. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Add broth and bay leaves to the cooked cabbage. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drop the meatballs into the soup and simmer until they are no longer pink inside, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Season the soup with salt and a generous grinding of pepper before serving.
Per serving: 168 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 450 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (92% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 1993